Car batteries supply the energy needed for moving a vehicle. Most car problems are due to drained car batteries. As car owners, it is important that we know when our car batteries will run out of life so we can prepare and do proper coping measures.
Maintaining car batteries is one way of ensuring that your car batteries will last longer. A typical car battery is easy to maintain. In fact, all you need to do is to ensure that your car battery terminals are clean. They must be free from any form of corrosion because corrosion prevents the car battery cables from getting and transmitting charges. If worse comes to worst, corrosion can totally prevent your car form starting.
You do not need sophisticated tools when maintaining car batteries. All you have to do is to get a wire brush and regularly scrub and clean the terminal contacts of your car battery. It is important to reach the insides of the connector and terminal post so it may be necessary for you to remove cables.
Another thing to check when maintaining car batteries is the water level. Water level tends to drop especially when there is extreme heat. If this happens, your car battery might have difficulty in holding a charge. Always fill it up to its proper level. Do not wait till it drains because it might be too late to save your car battery.
To make your car batteries efficient and to make them last longer, follow these professional advice when it comes to maintaining car batteries:
- Keep the batterys proper state of charge. Recharge the battery as often as the need for it arises. Keeping it from always discharging reduces the probability of a worn-out. However, you should be careful of overcharging your car batteries. Overcharging can result in battery power loss.
- In addition, place vent caps when charging so as to prevent water loss as well as gassing.
- In case your car battery reaches an 80% state of charge, recharge it immediately to avoid sulfation. Like corrosion, sulfation is a culprit that causes car battery failure. Sulfation results in crystal formation within the batteries metal plates leading to a decreased power and performance.
- Always disconnect your car batteries from subsequent car appliances that can drain energy and charge. Most car owners experience resetting of their cars clock and other items that are dependent on the car batteries as a result of this. A switch capable of connecting and disconnecting is relatively easy to install. Nevertheless, it will be wise to consult a professional electrical technician.
- Remember to pour in water after charging the battery. Never ever make the mistake of doing this before charging.
- Do not discharge your car battery with a figure less than 10.5 V.
- Last but not the least, be watchful of overheating your battery. And once your batterys life is over, recycle the lead, plastic, and the whole battery if possible by donating it to an accredited recycling institution.